Thursday, June 7, 2012

French Students

A lot has happened since my last post.

God has moved in some amazing ways through our evangelism on campus here in France.
The students in Montpellier are searching for something, but they often don't know what.
Many of the students I have been meeting the last few weeks know little about God. When I ask them "What is the meaning of life?" or "What is the origin of life?" many have never thought about them before. Students have given the answer such as It was by chance, Evolution, or I don't know; That's a good question. This is a very different spiritual climate than in the United States. Many students have not grown up in or even experienced a religion of any kind. But why? One reason is because their parents never taught them and another is because of the government of France. In 1905 the French government put into affect laicite that is the separation of church and state. Therefore taking religion out of public schools, government proceedings etc. Although many of the students we talk to don't know of God or know that you can have a relationship with God, God is working in their lives. He has directed us to students to talk to and has given us many opportunities to share the Gospel with the students. Although, to our knowledge, no student has accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior because of our conversations, God is moving. We are connecting with the students and I have had the opportunity to share the Gospel and share how God has show up in my life. How He has helped me through tough losses, and how He has provided for me in times of need. God has given me circumstances and hard times in my life in order for me to relate with the French students who are hurting because of a lost family member or friend or a student who struggles with finding purpose in life.

Before coming to France I had some ideas of what life would be like. I had a conception that French were rude. The people are actually very friendly to talk to and willing to help you with anything. I thought it would be hard to do everyday logistical things without knowing any French. I was wrong. I have learned some basic survival French and can go through the city with ease. And last I thought that discussions with French students would be very intelligent and hard to get the Gospel across. Wrong again. God has empowered me with His power and courage and given me truth to share with the French students.

Prayer Requests:

For the French Friends that we have made at the university. That the Lord would soften their hearts and make them receptive to the Gospel. That our group would be a healthy Body of Christ that can be a witness of Christ's love and compassion to the French students. Last, that every conversation we have with a French student is seasoned with salt and that by God's will every conversation can be about spiritual things.

Merci

No comments:

Post a Comment